Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, September 19, 2008

Other things in the family...

...Let's face it, many of these post over the past several months have been about McKenleigh...and that makes perfect sense. She is the center of many things in our world, but what else have we been doing?

(OK, before we go any further, yes I am writing this not Marie. I know, I know; I'm over 30 and Republican but what can I say? Let's just agree that Marie has been a positive influence in more ways than one and leave it alone. agreed?)


Well, if you read the Drudge Report (BTW, Drudge is the only place for news...sometimes Mom will ask if I have seen a particular news story...I tell her if it wasn't on Drudge I probably missed it and really didn't need to know about it anyway); anyway, back to my story. If you read the Drudge report, you may have noticed we are having a little gasoline shortage in Nashville. Well, it is in Franklin too & for three counties around us. Since the refinery infrastructure in this country is so dangerously thin a single Cat 2 hurricane can knock it out, everyone in Nashville started filling up last week, and filling, and filling, and filling their gas cans, and filling. Anyway, we went through double the gas over the last week starting a bit of a panic on Friday morning. By this afternoon, we are empty.

This wouldn't be so bad, but both our cars were getting very low...so I came up with a plan. I called Terry and asked if they would bring a couple of gas cans from Hopkinsville on their way through Nashville. My car is now nearly full and when Terry and Kenda come back through tomorrow on their way home, I'll have a little extra horded in the garage...I swear it is really Lord of the Flies out there. But we should be fine for the next week until the supply catches up (or the "Chosen One" lifts his hands and sends us more gasoline - All Hail Obama, may his greatness live forever).

We also started working as coaches with the 7th graders at church. With over 200 kids in the youth group, it is an impossible task for the youth ministers to be able to stay up with all of them. So they have six coaches, three men and three women, per age. We have committed to being with these kids until they graduate high school. So far we have had a blast. We did a bit of team building last Sunday afternoon and I nearly fell over laughing when one of the girls made a deadpan observation about 7th grade boys; apparently they smell...

I wanted to tell her they would start taking showers in a few years, but decided to hold off...it was very funny though.

Auburn started playing football & since the games are a little too close for comfort, I don't think Marie has seen more than a dozen plays this season. She is a great addition to the Auburn family; she gets physically ill if Auburn isn't ahead by a comfortable margin...I love it!

We went to the start of the Symphony season Last Friday; it was the first concert we have attended in the past three years where we enjoyed the entire performance. Sir James Galloway brought his flute and at the end of the scheduled performance he started playing a few Irish folk tunes with the orchestra including Danny Boy. It was a wonderful concert and a long ovation from the attendees.

Well, I guess that is enough from me, I'll let Marie get back to the regularly scheduled McKenleigh updates.

No comments:

background